I love my roommate…BUT [insert conditional phrase here]…
I love my roommate, but I am eager for my own space. I’ve been cost cutting from my budget and negotiating pretty hard for my new job salary just so I can find a one bedroom apartment all to myself.
Having a roommate has its blessings: companionship, extended friend network, cheaper rent, cheaper utilities, available groceries, and someone to share in the mind numbing labor that is keeping a home furnished and tidy. But sometimes, no matter how well you get along, having a roommate can present some very funny aspects of the human psyche!
Some funny times in roommate living:
- TRASH CAN JENGA
- If you’ve ever balanced ANOTHER banana peel on the trash heap instead of taking the trash out, you’ve played trashcan Jenga. Loser: the person who’s piece of trash causes the entire pile to collapse on the floor. Get it?
- Dirty Dishes
- This will always, always be a point of contention. People either do the dishes too often or not often enough. And god bless dishwashers, but I don’t know about you, but I HATE pre-rinsing my dishes before placing them in the dishwasher…seems redundant! My roommate will always give me the “disapproving mom” look whenever something comes out of the dishwasher still dirty…and I hate that look! I do in fact, rinse my dishes, but come on, it’s not going to change about me!
- A culture of asking
- Some roommates use now, ask later, and others ask now and use later. I prefer just using my goods and replacing, upgrading, etc.
- Thin walls = not so private intimacy
- Fortunately, my roommate and I lead very traditional lifestyles, so this is not an issue. However, I am particularly annoyed to hear my underage neighbor upstairs and his GF. Totally possibly, I’m just jealous.
- TV Rules
- I don’t watch TV and I loathe having to pay cable bill. I acquiesce to a DVR + Sports package because at least with a DVR, I have some control over TV. I also remind myself that there are specific privileges to living with a roommate such as better pricing be square foot of space and shared utilities. For the economic savings, I’m willing to make a concession for a cable package.
I’ve been lucky as I haven’t had to deal with too many roommate stories.
What sorts of roommate stories do you have?